Saturday, March 11, 2006

That which remains a Mystery

He’s tall, dark and bald. She’s shorter, plump. They look like 2 good friends or colleagues sitting down after work having a personal animated conversation over coffee. But before they leave they hug each other tightly, fondly, and as she turns away a huge smile is etched on her face and lingers there just a little too long, and I wonder…

There are couples everywhere, a sheer proliferation of them. I suppose they’ve always been around but I never quite bothered or noticed before, considering them unnecessary nuisances. Now, they are all I see. I notice everything, observe their minutest gestures, am thoroughly fascinated. The way he holds her arm, the glances she sneaks at him, the way they laugh, and off I go wondering….

I wonder what their stories are, how they met, how long they’ve been together, if she loves him, if he’s thinking of someone else. I wonder if they’re anything like us, what makes us different or if we all share similarities. I’m searching for that thing that makes us all tick. Trying to deconstruct the elusive makeup of that which stubbornly defies definition. Looking for the answer to “Why?”.

No comments: