Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Who's watching you?

I feel exposed.

I’ve never liked people looking over my shoulder even while doing something as harmless like reading the newspaper. I especially dislike people (complete strangers, colleagues, friends and family, basically anyone) curiously looking at my laptop screen when they should be minding their own business. And I mean this in the nicest way possible, because some people don’t mean to be nosy.

So this morning while waiting for the lift on my way to the office, I bumped into the lady who sits at the desk behind me. We exchange smiles and greetings and then after some shuffling of feet and staring at the floor, she said:

“So, busy with work?”

I mumbled something about usually being busy but unusually free this week and then we parted ways.

Now, I’ve never spoken to this woman before. She most probably doesn’t know my name, what I do or even which division I work for, but instead of asking these standard ‘first conversation’ questions, she assumes I’m busy and asks for confirmation. Either that or she was being a sarcastic smart ass. Whatever it is, I am a little disturbed that she has been observing and that I have no idea what conclusions she has formed.

So I walked behind her desk today and realized that she has full view of my laptop screen. Damn, the stupid open office plan! I can’t wait till we move, though I doubt it’ll be any better. Hmph, double damn!

(Yes, I know what you’re thinking, wa-ay too paranoid)

No comments: