Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Workspace

All's quiet on the work front. Getting into gear after the long break was a pain though.

Though I wish I could crack the whip to get some butts moving, I have to work within the confines of playing the amiable cheerleader that never tires or loses patience in 'encouraging' them to do as I ask. Quite the opposite of my usual 'Tell you once, and I'd better not have to tell you again' attitude. Blergh.

Things work differently here, there's little to no respect for the sanctity of project accountibility, planning, timelines and deliverables. It's because they (we) are in an operational environment which centers around routine day to day activities which as my higher up would say comes first before all else. It's a paradigm shift for me as I've spent years working on 'projects' however big or small, and operational work was never something I had encountered.

It definitely has it's pro's; no one ever has reason to stress out. The day begins and ends at exactly the same time, and work stays in the office and never needs to be brought home. If you're efficient and follow processes to a T, you'll do great. But even I can see that that will not get anyone anywhere. It's the side-projects based on operational improvement or customer satisfaction that will differentiate the project manager from the rest. The highest chance of learning things that can add value here and elsewhere are also in the projects.

Someday (soon? latter?) I will have to face the facts and decide, but for now I'm enjoying my time in the cool shade, sitting on the wooden bridge, with dangling legs and toes twirling patterns in the lazy stream...

No comments: