Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Haunting

"I can’t take my eyes of you.."

I kinda, sorta, did a review of the movie “Closer” in a previous post.
But I missed out the best part of the movie: the soundtrack, or more specifically the song “The Blower’s Daughter”, by Damian Rice.
It plays at the beginning and at the end of the movie, and I tell you, it made the movie.

Quiet
Introspective
Understated
Raw
Bleeding with emotion

And that mournful cello…ahh, that just kills me.

How do you describe a song that makes you feel like crying every single time you hear it?
Sigh, and I don’t even understand the song!

For me the measure of a great singer is not in the range of their vocals, or how many high notes or low notes they can reach, or how powerful their voice is. Rather it is in the use of a unique voice and that indefinable ability to take a song, own it, and move the listener.

The mark of this singer songwriter, in this particular song, is to be able to repeat the same line (first line of this post) soo many times throughout the song and never have it sound boring.

I’ve got Damian on repeat.

"And so it is."
To listen to the live version of Blower's Daughter: http://www.damienrice.co.uk/music.asp
(but try to take a listen to the original recording)

5 comments:

Muddy said...

Wow, interesting stuff. Just downloaded the tune too. :)

NQ said...

Hi Muddy,

Don't u just love it? hope u managed to get the actual recording from the album. It's so much quieter than the live version, that u can hear every breath he takes.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

i have to agree. its a pretty sad song to which i have no understanding of. haha. and i am pretty impressed by your command of the english language. very rare. haha.. good to read something refreshing once in a while. wahaha

NQ said...

hey josh (can i call u josh?)

so *shy*, thanks for the compliment mate. nothing great abt me, and i am completely hopeless at other languages aside from english. u shld hear my Hokkien!!

wahaha to u too,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

yeah u can call me josh.. most pple call me that anyway. i am hopeless in hokkien. haha. but i do speak cantonese. not very fluent but enought to pass, i think.