Friday, July 01, 2005

Consumerism with a capital 'C'

Noun: consumerism kun’soomu`rizum
- The theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically beneficial
.
.
.
…they forgot to add spiritually beneficial too.

CONTENT ALERT: An adequate amount of female hormones is essential for full understanding and mutual appreciation of the following post. ;-)

Ahh….the joys of shopping!

Where do I begin?

The endless rows of gleaming merchandise. The rush you get when you pick up an absolutely divine piece that surprise! surprise! actually looks good on you and is within your budget. And if it’s on Sale, you feel like Christmas has come early.

I’m completely aware of how shallow it is to be discussing with my friends the merits of one piece of clothing over the other, or about whether a handbag is out of season, or whether the lace-up sandals look better on me as opposed to diamante slip-ons. But who knew such ‘deep’ topics of conversations could be soo endlessly interesting and refreshing? Ooo....it’s good to be a girl.

I’ve skived off work before to accompany a friend on holiday, shopping. It was all I could do to conceal my glee at the other poor miserable sods in office attire on their way to work. Shopping malls on weekdays are absolute heaven, don’t you agree? Oh wait, if you’ve never played hooky before, you wouldn’t really know would you? Hah!! Suckers!. No pushing and shoving teeming masses. No obnoxious kiddies on those roller-skating-shoe thingamajigs (What the hell are those? The inventor should be tortured to a slow painful death!) to dodge. No long queues for the changing rooms. Bliss. Best of all is the thought that while others are slaving at work, you get to go out and play! Yipee! Highly recommended, indeed.

Yeah, you guessed it, I’m going shopping this weekend. And boy, am I excited. Ha, ha! I’m not very hard to please am I?

One more thing, for those who say shopping is just another way (the others being, drinking, clubbing and other pleasurable activities) of filling the void within the soul, well please do us all a favour and go stuff yourselves!

So, when did you last have your shopping fix?

4 comments:

Shiny Blue Black said...

lol. I just posted on this last weekend - went crazy over this fabu sale with cheap pants.

I still get the heebie jeebies remembering it.... aaaahhhh *smile*

NQ said...

hahaha...I'm getting a stomach cramp trying to figure out what to call you...would "Bowel" suit? or maybe "Left-Eye"?

Should've stumbled on ur blog ages ago, my loss cos clueless me have never heard of ze Gallery. More's the pity. MNG was a flop, ended up with zilch. Abuthen was merely being true to form, ppl get into fits at me cos I drag 'em shopping and end up with nothing while while they go broke. At this rate I'll run out of shopping "kaki" before long..Oh shit...

Dalynne said...

Hahah..that sounds familiar ;)So afraid to go shopping these days.. can't even bring myself anywhere near town at all cause I've been on shopping spree for the past few weeks!Kinda of 'phobia' to it now..cheh to think that it exists?! but really doubt that it lasts for long....

lynne

NQ said...

dalynne,

don't worry. i doubt this "phobia" is a permanent handicap...I predict u will be going into a shopping centre...by this weekend. ;-))