Monday, July 11, 2005

The Rat, The Scared and The Broomstick

Yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK!!!

Eiyerrr, geli-nya aku!!!

It was battle royale with The Rat this morning. Can you imagine coming out of the bathroom and seeing a big fat rat crouching in the middle of your living room????!!!! Oh shit! The image of The Rat is seared in my brain…beady eyes, twitching whiskers…splattered blood…God!!! Sob!...So horrible!!

After barricading myself in the bedroom and some violent phone calls to a very amused sister (yah! easy for her to laugh when she’s far away in a rat-free office zone!)…I steel myself with the help of a broomstick to push the foul critter out since repeated volleys of “Shoo!!" and “Out! Out!...please?”, fail in budging it. (maybe it doesn’t understand English eh?)
I push and stand on the stool within inches of it cos I need to open the door to send it off and on it’s way. But no amount of yelling, banging and prodding manages to excite a response more that a shivering of the body and a feeble turning of head. By this time I’m a nervous wreck and at my wits end….Oh! God help me!! So now I try to slide it out on the mat it’s crouched on. Success! Success! It’s moving! The Rat puts it’s front paws (are they called paws?) on the balcony....then comes to a complete halt. Prodding its butt doesn’t make any difference. I’m guessing it changed its mind due to the sunlight streaming in from the balcony.
Preferring the cool of the living room, it makes an about turn amidst deafening shouts from yours truly. Haiyorr!! Sei lorr!! I hastily shut the door to the balcony and stuff the slit under the door so it can’t come back in. But anyway it couldn’t even if it wanted to COS IT'S TOO DAMN BIG!!!

I’ve never been more grateful to be at work than right now. And I’m still getting the heebie-jeebies every few minutes when the image flashes through my brain. Macam mana nak makan lunch hari ni, hah??!!!

*Shiver, shiver shiver*

So sue me for being too chicken to pick the thing up and throwing it away. It was still ALIVE for God’s sake! Now I can go thru the day knowing I have a nasty piece of business when I get home tonight. Cos I’m sure it’ll still be in the same spot, dead. Rats vomiting blood don’t tend to run far.

Oh, and The Sis? She’ll be back late tonight. Convenient huh?

It’s a conspiracy I tell you, the rats are out to get me.

4 comments:

Muddy said...

I HATE RATS!!! When I was a kid, I used to live in this really old government quarters, where there are like a family of rats living in there. One time, it hid in my shoe and unfortunately, I slipped it on while it slept in it!!!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...hahaaha...(a grown man still affected by them creatures...heheheh)

NQ said...

hi muddy,

I feel ur pain babe!

u know what? i love animals, and i'm not scared of bugs (in fact i used to catch, kill & preserve them for my entomology projects)but i surprise myself at being disgusted by rats. what gives?


PS: ur blog is one of my must reads even if i don't comment often ;-) oops! why am i commenting abt ur blog in mine??!!..ack!!

Khalid Raffali said...

hehe the rat conspiracy. agaknye that's where the phrase ' i smell a rat ' comes from. well in my brother's room back home, there's a resident rat jugak. a big black besar macam anak kucing kinda rat. called him jerry. many a times while i was playing the ps2 the rat would just selamba'ly sneak up from tah mana entah. giving me a right old scare. hehe rats.

NQ said...

alamak, sempat nak bagi nama pun! ur bro kept jerry as a pet kut??!! i tell u the rats couldn't care less bout us..we're the one's running helter-skelter when they make their appearance!