Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I (wish I was) am the body beautiful

I never knew I had it in me.

You see, I’ve only just started going to the gym. Religiously. Like almost everyday. And it all started because I somehow acquired a free 1 month membership (hence the kiasu-ism i.e. milking it for all its worth) to this rather popular gym. I say ‘popular’ because of the sheer volume of beautiful people per square feet concentrated in one location. It’s enough to make any normal-sized person, with a usually healthy body image feel inadequate and run to the nearest Dunkin’ Donut for a pick-me-up scoff.

Funny thing is, and I’m embarrassed to admit this, but gym equipment freak me out. I mean, they’re soo massively intimidating and have such complicated mechanisms that you probably need a degree in engineering just to figure out how they work! And after you painstakingly get them all nicely figured out and actually start using them, all you want to know is how to make them stop before they crush you to death! (Hm? What do you mean it’s only my imagination??!)

The first time I visited the gym, as I made my way past row after row of people using the umm….running exercise machines (yes, yes, I need to brush up my gym lingo), I was struck by how much they resembled programmed robots. The illusion was further fortified by their synchronized movements, blank faces totally devoid of expression, and eyes staring straight ahead, completely disregarding anything else that was happening around them. I suspect that if I was to fall in a dead faint in front of them, that they would not have bothered to break their rhythm but instead grimly soldiered on. But maybe that would have been because it was only me fainting. Heh.

So anyway, needless to say, I only go there for the instructor lead classes. So far I’ve pumped iron to music, salsa-ed and samba-ed like a hot Latina (I said like, but oh how I wish!), and belly danced to glory. Sadly, all I have to show for it are very sore muscles. But still, I’m enjoying it. It gives me something to do that requires very little interference from my brain, which is a good thing really. And besides, I have to get my moneys’ worth right? Oh wait, no, that’s not right. Oh hell, who ever needed a reason to exercise anyway?

Now, which class should I go for tomorrow? Kick-boxing or Hip Hop? Decisions, decisions…

4 comments:

Reta said...

go for both? heh..

sometimes i wonder what is up with you guys who are bothered about the number of weight. sometimes it is all about being fit also what =)

NQ said...

eh. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to lose weight, if I did, I'd disappear. Like really. ;)

I have no higher aspirations. It's just something to do, to pass the time you know?

PS: If go for both sure die! Trust me, i tried 2 classes in a row. Tried and failed miserably. Heh.

mae said...

kick boxing is fun.. erm.. u dun sound like u r using any equipment leh??

bicycles are good for spacing out. they'll stop by themselves when 20 minutes r up. and u hv a chance to bat ur eyelashes at some macho male instructor so u can learn how to set the speed etc on the program (and no, it didn't apply to me cos i went with someone who taught me.. :( )

NQ said...

no, no, no equipment. but i did try the bicycle this once while waiting for a class. had to ask the girl next to me how to use it. then almost slid off the bike after 10 minutes of boredom ;)

PS: I dont do the "batting of eyelashes". Guys are more likely to ask me if there's something in my eye. heh.