Monday, January 23, 2006

Cold, cold water

cold cold water surrounds me now
and all i've got is your hand
lord can you hear me now?
or am i lost?
no one's daughter allow me that
and I can't let go of your hand
lord, can you hear me now?
or am i lost?
don’t you know i love you
and I always have
hallelujah
will you come with me?
cold cold water surrounds me now
and all i've got is your hand
lord.. can you hear me?
or am i lost?

Cold water - Damien Rice, Album: O

Yes I know, Damien Rice again: the poster boy for your average garden-variety depressive suicidal out there. Like I once described him to a friend as the writer of “songs to kill yourself to”. Funnily this song is precisely about that and is staged as a lament between a father, his daughter and God.

It’s all very sad and the haunting voices, including the goose bumps inducing Gregorian chants, linger with you for a very long time. I’ve listened to it so much that the song is permanently playing in my head. This is not good.

Listen with caution (and only if you are of sound mind).

3 comments:

mae said...

u know music affects your mood greatly right??

so take out that tacky 80's song you love (which you are embarrassed to admit).

come on. it's the season for pineapple tarts. what's there not to be happy about??!!

haha
hugz

NQ said...

I know. What can I say? I like to wallow and feel sorry for myself.

(yum...I love me some pineaplle tarts..ooo, now you've got me started on food...)

Anonymous said...

I have a serious problem. I have "eye in the sky" stuck in my head. The melody should be banned. Once you hear it, you are screwed! I had heard this song for the first time a month ago, and thought it was amazing. Now the song has turned on me, and I need serious professional help.