Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Coming home

Sometimes I think about what it would be like coming home to you after a long day at work, of being able to say “Honey I’m home” and feeling your warm embrace lifting all the days worries away.

On the days when I get home late, you would have already gotten me dinner and I can see us both sitting there in a comfortable silence with you smiling indulgently as I slowly consume the meal. I can hear you ask, “How was your day sweetie?” and my replying sigh would tell you all you needed to know. Then pulling me close to kiss my forehead, you would have understood how after a tiring day, the last thing I am, is chatty.

Feeling that much more relaxed after a warm shower, the first thing I would do is rub your back and kiss you fondly on the cheek in appreciation of your calming presence and affection for me. And now I would ask you in return about your day, certain that I’d be able to focus my attention on listening to you.

I’d then sit back in bed and perhaps turn the TV on and gradually you’d come sit by me, automatically taking my hand and clasping it in yours. We might talk a little or just lapse into quietness, my head resting on your chest. After a while, if you gauge that all is well with me and that I am suitably occupied, you would gently extricate yourself and return to what you were doing previously. At other times when you find me restless or out of sorts, you devise ways of amusing me and making it better: whether sharing a tub of ice-cream or watching a movie together or just coaxing me to talk to you.

And as the night draws to a close and I find myself wilting, I’d ask you if you were coming to bed. If you answer “Soon sweetie”, then I would wait for you because sleep is lonely without you. On nights when I involuntarily doze off before you, I remain watchful. Then when you finally do come to bed, you would gently brush my hair in the quietest good night you can muster so as not to awaken me. But I am always aware and will sleepily search for you hand to hold and your lips to kiss my own good night to you.

And finally contented with you beside me, we drift off together into the night


5 comments:

caffeinated said...

how wistful :) sigh

Anonymous said...

You're only away Monday to Wednesday sweetie. Soon enough it'll be Thursday! :)

NQ said...

That was not the point hun. Not that there is one, but if there was, that certainly isn't it.

caffeinated said...

hey, i'm a lamp post. *shine* :>

NQ said...

a-hahahahah! yeah, shoo!

(Aw, no you're not :p)