Monday, June 26, 2006

A little too close for comfort

Back in Centrepoint again, this time a little earlier than usual (came here straight from a customers office in KL) and feeling a tad unnerved. Was quite freaked out after I found out that the recent kidnapping & rape of the air-stewardess in a shopping mall happened right where I am right now and that I was here on that same very night, the same night I wrote about Centrepoint being the place “to be”. How so very ironic. And driving in just now, there was a police roadblock right in front, I wonder why.

What’s very scary and continually frustrating is the fact that the knee-jerk reactions and finger-pointing from the authorities, random ministers and parties involved like the mall management solves nothing because it’s all too little action too late for the victims. It’s obvious that prevention & safety precautions are non-existent in the Malaysian culture and even experience (Canny Ong for one) teaches us nothing.

I try to be careful and take care of my own self, as everyone should. But sometimes it is so easy to assume that bad things won’t happen to us, and who wants to live under constant fear and vigilance anyway? And so we do what we can, and hope for the best.

No comments: