Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Charm School

I was on a rare visit to a client’s office where I had to register at the guard house before entering the premises. I should have known something was amiss when I found the young-ish pak guard minutely scrutinizing me as I wrote down my name in the visitor log.

A polite cough later he said:
“Excuse me Miss, correct me if I’m mistaken, you’re not Malay are you?”

I flashed what I hoped was a dismissive stop-all-friendly-overtures-NOW quick smile and said:
“No.”

Then out of nowhere as I turn to go he says with an impish grin:
“Your face is true beauty”

Only presence of mind and iron self-control stopped me from bursting into wild laughter.

He made my day...ok, ok, make that my week. But I can’t help feeling sorry for him, after all, he must have really bad eyesight.

Office air-con technicians, the balding pakcik at the neighborhood sundry shop, the waiter at the corner mamak shop where we have after work yum char sessions and now: security guards.

I’m quite the charmer I am.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. You and I are going to get those accusing looks again this puasa month. People always assume I'm Malay too.

NQ said...

Actually, I've never been stopped during puasa. I know of people who've been asked to show their IC while having a meal though. But nothing that exciting has ever happened to me. Maybe I look like I might mengamuk kut...must try to look more placid this year.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been stopped either. But I still get those accusing looks, especially when eating at those halal places.

Anonymous said...

eh are u sure u didn't sway your hair around ? ;) lol your face is true beauty...that's the first time I've even heard of such a complimentaty phrase!

NQ said...

Lipan,

eiyerr..no-lah I wasn't pretending I was in a shampoo ad. I still maintain he was blind...or high on some mind altering drug. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree..that was one of the best compliments that I've heard so far..you face is a true beauty..must be a poetic guard eh?