Thursday, October 06, 2005

Life: Not an exact science

I was watching this series on TV the other day. It’s not a bad family drama that I follow on and off. The main protagonist had been having one of those recurring what-if dreams where your life turns out exactly picture perfect. He agonizes over it because he felt that it meant that the way his life had turned out would always be inferior to the happiness of his “perfect” dream life. He confides in a friend who is of the wry opinion that “dreams are dumpsites for neurological waste” and goes on to tell him that trying to find meaning in dreams is like trying to avert unpredictable tragedy, that life happens: we’re grateful when it goes well and count our blessings when it doesn’t.

But what I loved most is the ending sequence where he finally gets to see his dream to its unexpected conclusion. He’s amazed to find that his seemingly perfect life is ultimately very flawed and as imperfect and difficult as his current reality is, he’s lucky to have just that. That in spite of tragedy or because of it, he’d gained and become soo much more than his “perfect” life would have afforded.

Could it be that we struggle soo much with regret, and that we second guess our choices every single time because unlike him we don’t have the benefit of seeing how our desired what-if scenario pans out?

God knows the last thing I want to do is sound preachy, but I guess what I’m trying to say is we don’t have to beat ourselves up when things go wrong, because in another place and time, wrong might have been what we needed all along. And in the end like a light bulb going off in our heads, we might just see why it was all necessary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you regret?

I'm glad the things that happened to me happened. 'Cause if things hadn't happened that way, I wouldn't be who I am today. I wouldn't have gained my unique appreciation of how things go. I wouldn't be me.

NQ said...

Too many to count. Soo many missed oppurtunities. But I want to stop, regretting that is. Or at least try to.

And what you said: exactly what I mean.

Anonymous said...

well said!

bordfering on inspirational.

but let's not get too sappy here, eh?;)

NQ said...

DM,

I'll try not to "bordfer" (he!he!) anymore, shall cook up smtg to regain the old equilibrium ;)