Monday, October 24, 2005

The not-soo-angry feminist

I was in a sewing shop just now accompanying a colleague who wanted to purchase something or rather. While in the shop I couldn’t help feeling a sense of forced feminity and girlishness, of docile domestication, homeliness and other unmentionables. I couldn’t help feeling soo out of place among the cross-stitches, knitting needles, balls of yarn and rows upon rows of colourful thread, sequins and beads. Not that there’s anything wrong with any of the above, hell, I even used quite a number of them as a kid. But somehow, now, all of it smacks of stereotypical female occupations: a reinforcement of an arcane female ideal. And try as I may, I find it hard not to be somewhat scornful (oh, this is too strong a word) of women who indulge in these pastimes. It appears as if I’m making a case for feminism, which is not my intention at all. I really mean no offense though it may seem otherwise. But it’s just that I don’t fit this particular pigeon hole.

On the flip side, I love the veritable Aladdin’s cave that is hardware shops. The intoxicating smell of leather, shelves of every imaginable glistening steel implement and contraptions and tins of industrial chemicals. There’s just so much to pick up, tinker with and marvel over. Unfortunately the downside is dealing with hardware store owners and salesmen. I happen to be the wrong gender you see, and I couldn’t make it anymore obvious if I walked in with a sign plastered to my forehead that said, “I’m a girl, cheat me, I’m dumb”. Not only do you get disbelieving looks because you’re a girl, saying you’re “Just browsing” to inquisitive macho men doesn’t stop them from following you around gawking and snorting under their breath at such a highly amusing oddity.

There was once I frequented one particular hardware shop soo regularly that the owner began to greet me warmly like a favourite daughter. Heh. But it sure didn’t stop him from trying to con me out of my money though. Men, sheesh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time remember to ask one of 'em machidiots some sophisticated hardware question. Like, uh, where are your ratchets and 1/2" nuts or something.

NQ said...

Eh, what are ratchets? hahahah!! I didn't say I was a know-it-all! ;)

mae said...

cool.. wat do u do by the way?

i hv loads of fun with the engineer side of me. but pple r usually cynical tt a slight built gal is capable of anything related to mechanical eng. i hv quite a lot of fun proving them wrong.

but.. i also love all those x-stitch, crochet stuff. rem.. u r supposed to learn how to knit. i haven't forgotten haha

NQ said...

oh? looks like you're still a girly-girl regardless of your chosen profession ;)

No, no, no, thou shalt not convert me! I resist all temptation!

(I'm in IT btw)

Anonymous said...

You don't know what a rachet is? And you dare walk into a hardware store? ;)

Actually most guys who walk into hardware stores have no idea what they're looking at either. Unless they're handymen or electricians or mechanics or things like that - otherwise, nuh uh. They're just faking it.